If you think there are a lot of “requirements” to be a youth coach, you are correct. All of them, whether they are registration-related or education-related, have been enacted because they are good for our young players.
Registration – You need to register with USA Hockey as a Coach. This provides you with ongoing information about coaching during the season and with some insurance coverages that can benefit you. Be sure to align these with your own insurance, of course. This must be done before you participate with your team. Click &/or copy & paste this link: https://www.usahockeyregistration.com
Dashboard of your Current Coaching Status with USA Hockey – For returning Coaches please check your current status (as recorded by USA Hockey) by logging in at the following location; this view provides a single pane view of training/certification along with links to many of the systems you may need to access to complete certifications/training/screening for the current season.
- Click: “My Profile”
- Click: “Coaching Information”
- Be Sure to Click “Refresh Data” at the top before reviewing your information.
- Keep in mind there is a 12-24 hour lag in updates from other systems (like SafeSport, Screening, Etc.) before it will show on this page.
Information and links to complete any outstanding activity are including on this page, including:
- CEP Number
- Age Specific Online Modules Completed
- Certification Level
- Safesport Verification
- Screening Verification
Screening (Background & CORI Checks) –This must be done before you participate with your team. Click &/or copy & paste this link: https://www.usahockey.com/backgroundscreen. There is no added cost for this. It is included in your USA Hockey Registration fee. (Please note you will need to upload a copy of your driver’s license so you may want to do that in advance.)
SafeSport – https://www.usahockey.com/safesporttraining. There is no cost for this and the system will let you know if you DO NOT need this for this season as you enter your information.
* USA Hockey requires that all coaches and all players 17 and older (2002, 2001, 2000 birth year) must complete Safesport Training. All coaches, officials, volunteers and players WILL NOT be allowed on a roster until the SafeSport training is completed and reflected within their USA Hockey Registration. For more information: https://www.mahockey.org/news_article/show/1031108
Coaching Education – Online Age-Specific Modules –Coaches need to complete these before participating with their team, so that the age-specific training elements can be incorporated into your practice planning and parent communications. Click &/or copy & paste this link: https://www.usahockey.com/agespecificmodules
Coaching Education – Clinics – If your Coaching Education Clinic credential expires this fall, you need to move to the next level (or possibly renew if at Level 3). For specifics on Coaching Clinic requirements, visit: https://www.usahockey.com/coachingclinics. Clinic Schedules can be found at this page as well. Clinics are generally offered from mid-August through late-December. The deadline for attending a clinic is December 31.